July 3:International Free Day Of Plastic Bags

Posted by SVAKOM 03/07/2020 0 Comment(s)

On July 3, International Bag Free Day is celebrated to raise awareness of the need to reduce single-use plastic bags and promote responsible consumption.

The plastic bag is an everyday object used on a large scale to contain and transport merchandise, which does not have a practical utility of more than 10 min, that is, it is only useful for one use, but many resources are used for its manufacture and its disposal produces great impact, for this it can be said that plastic bags are a scourge ?

Banning them is the way of many cities, parties, states, etc., and those who have assumed the political cost of banning them have highlighted in the medium term very interesting and positive results in the community and in public spaces. Plastic bags take more than 500 years to decompose. It is estimated that each person spends an average of about 230 plastic bags a year, which represents more than 500 billion plastic bags in the world. About 13 million tons of plastics reach the oceans each year. These residues pose a serious threat to marine species and their habitats.

 

svakom

 

 

RECYCLING AND DEGRADATION

The plastic bags depending on whether they received oxo biodegradable treatment or cannot be recycled. The material that has not been recycled can be used to produce energy in thermal power plants, and it is considerably more profitable than other energy sources, with the advantage that you are also using a product you need to remove.

Germany, Switzerland and Denmark recycle plastics and transform 20% into other materials. The remaining 80% can be used for energy recovery, as does Switzerland (100%) or Germany (90%). In Spain only 20% of plastic materials are recycled, and only reaches a 45% energy recovery rate.

LET'S USE RECYCLABLE BAGS, BE AWARE

The figures that report the consumption of resources are also astronomical and difficult to assimilate: In garbage dumps, plastic bags need more than 500 years to degrade. Hardly anyone doubts today that this situation will have consequences, although the issue of how to deal with the problem is still under discussion.

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO REDUCE THE CONSUMPTION OF PLASTIC BAGS?

When you go shopping, bring cloth bags or other reusable materials.

Buy products in bulk, thus avoiding excess packaging.

Use reusable bottles and glasses.

Reuse packaging to buy again.